Tuesday 4 June 2013

Barnack Hills & Holes

This is such a cool place for plants and insects and is just a few miles from where I grew up in south Lincolnshire. I remember being taken here as a little kid by my parents and seeing Marbled Whites, burnet moths etc - though it's only in recent years that I've realised what a great site it is for plants too.

I visited on Sunday - it was breezy but bright and warm. Plenty of Green Hairstreaks and one or two Dingy Skippers were the best of the butterflies. The Pasqueflowers were mainly over but some were still looking decent, with much the same applying for the Early Purple Orchids - photos of both (with my wide angle) below.

Early Purple Orchid

Pasqueflowers - a little over but some still looking nice


Sadly I couldn't find Man Orchid in the hour or so that I had spare. Having said that, I really need to buy a macro lens before I start seeing all these things!

1 comment:

  1. Great site - it's probably been about 5 years since i've been there but i did find quite a few Man Orchids IIRC - not bad for a medieval quarry! This site contains nearly half of the Limesone grassland in Cambridgeshire! To think that both Peterboro and Ely Cathedral are made of this stuff.

    Must revisit next yr.....

    Laurie -

    Laurie -

    ReplyDelete