Sunday 29 September 2013

Inishbofin on Wednesday

On Tuesday, just as I was about to start playing football, I had a look at my phone and noticed that an Eastern Kingbird had been found on Inishbofin in County Galway. Needless to say, I didn't have my most inspired game and by 06:15 the next morning, I was back at Stansted for the third time in six days. I think all those gathered for the morning flight had the same mindset - memories of last year's Inishmore bird and the apparent similarities in circumstances saw us anticipating that the bird had gone. It was therefore with great relief that we were greeted by news of a brief sighting at 08:10 in the fog on landing at Shannon. Genuinely surprised at its continued presence and now pretty pumped, the drive north to Cleggan was a rapid one.

Sadly, however, news became less and less positive as the journey progressed. It seemed the bird had moved on and I was reluctantly dragged over to the island by Bo. All was not lost, though - I saw a hideously tick-ridden Blackpoll Warbler and Spotted Flycatcher while others also scored Wryneck and Barred Warbler. Plus the sun was shining, and it was really quite a pleasant day to be in westernmost Galway. Inishbofin is a great island - it must have had so many quality birds over the years.






After just two-and-a-half hours on the island, we headed back off on a 15:30 ferry which allowed us time to take in the Lesser Yellowlegs at Ballyconneely. I'll do a separate post on that bird for it was a blinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment